and the reason that i do not fall into this street is love
about ...
her name is mel. that's all that people find certain of about her: her name. and even then her name changes with her mood, she's got two of them, and a few others you don't know of.

links ...
my writing
random photos

PEOPLE I LIKE

carol
gayle
nigel
dawn
juliet
prudence
angela
elsa
iz
kai rui
alysia
daryl
sherman
jeremy
terence
vanessa
henry
shawn
michelle
hamizah
julius
jason


alvin pang
alfian sa'at
popagandhi
chubbyhubby
esurientes
tagboard ...

hit counter

contact ...
electric post
say it now

archives ...

credits ...
design:francey design
blogger


... Sunday, October 30, 2005

‘I feel, like Beckett, that all poetry is prayer.’ So where does that sit poetry in the twenty first century, in this confusing and bloody world of ours? I’ve been thinking about that’ she says, ‘ Male novelists and dramatists are getting very documentary now, aren’t they? As though that is somehow more serious. Poetry can’t be documentary. I’m not sure that any of the arts should be – but poetry, above all, is a series of intense moments – its power is not in narrative. I’m not dealing with facts, I’m dealing with emotion.’

- Carol Ann Duffy

oh yes! oh yes! oh yes!!

SO, am currently re-reading Jeanette Winterson's The.Powerbook, having finished Kitchen Confidential [which was good fun and very interesting! read it, if food interests you!] . every word Winterson writes is just beautiful. apart, yet conjoined with the others. beautiful, beautiful, like spun out of the magical thread used to build The Emperor's clothes - it's there, yet it's not. she writes so seamlessly, so completely, so measuredly, yet rippling with emotion.

There is no penance that can calm love and no regret that can make it bitter.

You are closed and shuttered to me now, a room without doors or windows, and I cannot enter. But I fell in love with you under the open sky and death cannot change that.

Death can change the body but not the heart.

you feel differently depending on the mood with which you read - for now, LOVE IS EVERYTHING. it is everything to me, that and a broken heart. i find myself so deeply drawn into her words, because of this.

a 'language costumier' - how apt. her writing reflects everything of the book - IT IS THE STORY. the words are the story, they don't make up the story, THEY ARE the story.

i feel i would like to do something with The Powerbook. direct it, make it a play - that would be an interesting idea and right now i feel i absolutely HAVE to watch the theatre adaptations of it should i ever get a chance!

goodness. there is so much beauty, so much poetry! and i feel i am not fully equipped to take it all in - drink it all in, i want to drink it all in. so much beauty, so little time and so little of me to discover it. so much art .. so much beauty. i know i'm repeating myself and often i feel envious because i am so clumsy with words and expressing myself, but oh, beautiful!

ODE TO THINGS

I HAVE A CRAZY
Crazy love of things.
I like pliars,
and scisssors.
I love
cups
rings
and bowls -
not to speak, of course,
of hats.
I love
all thing,
not just
the grandest,
also
the infinitely
small-
thimbles,
spurs,
plates,
and flower vases.

Oh yes.


PABLO NERUDA

+ posted by M @ 11:10 AM

Comments: Post a Comment