and the reason that i do not fall into this street is love
about ...
her name is mel. that's all that people find certain of about her: her name. and even then her name changes with her mood, she's got two of them, and a few others you don't know of.

links ...
my writing
random photos

PEOPLE I LIKE

carol
gayle
nigel
dawn
juliet
prudence
angela
elsa
iz
kai rui
alysia
daryl
sherman
jeremy
terence
vanessa
henry
shawn
michelle
hamizah
julius
jason


alvin pang
alfian sa'at
popagandhi
chubbyhubby
esurientes
tagboard ...

hit counter

contact ...
electric post
say it now

archives ...

credits ...
design:francey design
blogger


... Sunday, October 09, 2005

Prosody 101

When they taught me that what mattered most
was not the strict iambic line goose-stepping
over the page but the variations
in that line and the tension produced
on the ear by the surprise of difference,
I understood yet didn't understand
exactly, until just now, years later
in spring, with the trees already lacy
and camellias blowsy with middle age,
I looked out and saw what a cold front had done
to the garden, sweeping in like common language,
unexpected in the sensuous
extravagance of a Maryland spring.
There was a dark edge around each flower
as if it had been outlined in ink
instead of frost, and the tension I felt
between the expected and actual
was like that time I came to you, ready
to say goodbye for good, for you had been
a cold front yourself lately, and as I walked in
you laughed and lifted me up in your arms
as if I too were lacy with spring
instead of middle aged like the camellias,
and I thought: so this is Poetry!

Linda Pastan

i need to start studying much harder, i woke up this morning realizing there was only a month left and it scared the hell out of me.

last night was very bizarre. spent the whole day clearing my inbox because i kept letting it go til i accumulated 1400+ msgs at a shot. i wish i was one of those people who could just press 'delete' for the whole folder, but the fact is i like to hang on to stuff inevitably has changed - an sms from a person a few months back reflects a totally different relationship from an sms from that very same person now. why do i seem to be the only one stuck in reverse? gah, technology. i didn't think i would allow myself to get into something like this after last year's fiasco. i hate feeling this way, maybe this is just a phase, maybe it's some weird A Level disorder which makes people unusually pensive and wistful. yes i think it's just a phase.

'no. only you.'

+ posted by M @ 12:27 PM

Comments: Post a Comment