and the reason that i do not fall into this street is love
about ...
her name is mel. that's all that people find certain of about her: her name. and even then her name changes with her mood, she's got two of them, and a few others you don't know of.

links ...
my writing
random photos

PEOPLE I LIKE

carol
gayle
nigel
dawn
juliet
prudence
angela
elsa
iz
kai rui
alysia
daryl
sherman
jeremy
terence
vanessa
henry
shawn
michelle
hamizah
julius
jason


alvin pang
alfian sa'at
popagandhi
chubbyhubby
esurientes
tagboard ...

hit counter

contact ...
electric post
say it now

archives ...

credits ...
design:francey design
blogger


... Saturday, February 25, 2006

i really miss baking, and reading, and doing art, and watching tons of film and in general, 'having a life'. but it's always this back and forth between 'i wish i hade a life' and 'i wish i had something to do' so i need to .. find the balance. results are coming out on wednesday, and i have a Brown interview tomorrow! which i'm quite nervous about and i don't know why (and from now on when i think of having a Brown interview i will always think of The OC's Stoned Seth)! i'm not normally nervous about college interviews.

i have also taken to watching American Idol quite loyally which i've never done in the past and why is Patrick leaving us!? actually thought he was good, and that SWAY (UGH!!!UGH!!!) as well as DAVID and KEVIN and heck, WILL must GO!

because i don't really have anything significant to say, i will leave you with this, because The Philosophy of Andy Warhol is perfectly enthralling (and he is very obviously on LSD, pot and things like that):



Space is all one space and thought is all one thought, but my mind divides its spaces into spaces into spaces and thoughts into thoughts into thoughts. Like a large condominium. Occasionally I think about the one Space and the one Thought, but usually I don't. Usually I think about my condominium.

The condominium has hot and cold running water, a few Heinz pickles thrown in, some chocolate-covered cherries, and when the Woolworth's hot fudge sundae switch goes on, then I know I really have something.

(This condominium meditates a lot: it's usually closed for the afternoon, evening, and morning.)

Your mind makes spaces into spaces. It's a lot of hard work. A lot of hard spaces. As you get older you get more spaces, and more compartments. And more things to put in the compartments.

To be really rich, I believe, is to have one space. One big empty space.

I really believe in empty spaces, although, as an artist, I make a lot of junk.

Empty space is never-wasted space.

Wasted space is any space that has art in it.

An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them.

Business art is a much better thing to be making than Art Art, because Art Art doesn't support the space is takes up, whereas Business Art does. (If Business Art doesn't support its own space it goes out of business.)

So on the one hand I really believe in empty spaces, but on the other hand, because I'm still makeing some art, I'm still making junk for people to put in their spaces that I believe should be empty: i.e., I'm helping people waste their space when what I really want to do is help them empty their space.

I got even further in not following my own philosophy, because I can't even empty my own spaces. It's not that my philosophy is failing me, it's that I am failing my own philosophy. I breach what I preach more than I practice it.




and then he goes on about 'space' for one whole chapter! the thing i love about Andy is that it is clearly obvious that he's out-of-his-mind HIGH when he's writing this stuff and yet tons of critics read it and went, 'brilliant stuff from the father of pop art!'. AND it IS brilliant in it's own drug-induced rambling right and i AM completely captivated by it because in the most hilarious and strangest ways, he makes perfect sense! i have a weakness for people that philosophize like they're on drugs, especially when they actually make sense. i find it very funny and very candid - i think they balance perfectly on the thin line between utter lunacy and enlightenment. i love it just as i love 'YELLOW SUBMARINE'. but i can't help but think that Andy is right now taking this great big laugh at us and hasn't stopped laughing since 1987.

+ posted by M @ 6:06 PM

Comments: Post a Comment